Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Newborn Petal Bib - FREE PDF sewing pattern


Mad Quilter's

Newborn Petal Bib

PDF Pattern




CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PATTERN

This is a very tiny bib designed for a newborn.
I found most of Heather's bibs to be too big.
I wanted something a little smaller that will catch the extra milk she dribbles out at the end of the feed,
And what better than a flower bib for my little flower.


Fabric required
little offcuts. of two quilting fabrics for the front and an absorbant fabric such as flannel or terry cloth for the backing.
You can make this bib with two 6.5 inch charm squares.
55cm of bias binding for the tie.

Print pattern.
Make sure it is not scaled.
Cut pattern out.

Cutting

Cut two of two fabrics, for a total of four petals.
There is a 6mm seam allowance already included.


Two 6.5 inch charm squares are just perfect for this bib.

Construction

Sew the petal together along the side as in the photo above.
Keeping one of the fabrics to the top is a good trick to make sure you sew them in the right order. Use a 6mm seam allowance.


Sew them in pairs then the pairs together.


Press the seams to one side. I press mine towards the darker fabric.
I don't open my seams as I think this weakens the seam.


Place the petals onto the backing right side together and pin.
Then carefully cut the backing to match the petals.


Sew around the edge of the bib witha 6mm seam allowance.
Leave the neck open.


Clip or Pink around the sewn edge.
Make sure you do this well in the valleys.


Turn the bib through the neck.
Roll the edges between your fingers to push out the curves.
Press well with an iron.
Stitch close to the edge around the petals of the bib.


Cut Bias binding 55cm.
Match the center to the center of the bib.
Pin into place as in the photo above.


Stitch in the crease of the bias binding as illustrated in the photo.


Fold the bias to the back over the raw neck edge.
Pin into place.
Starting at one end of the bias, sew along catching the neck in as you go.

I used a decorative stitch to stitch my bias,

I find this hides that my sewing is sometimes not as straight as it should be!





All finished now I need to wake my model, she's due for a feed.


I don't think she's impressed!

COPYRIGHT
It's ok to make these for sale
It's ok to share the pattern
please don't post the pattern on your site or anywhere else.
Please link to this blog post.
Don't sell the pattern
Don't claim it as yours.
All drafts and blocks have been kept by me to confirm this is an original pattern of mine.

11 comments:

Helen said...

So cute Tracy! Oh, I love her screwed up face cluck cluck (in a grandmotherly way lol)I'm glad you still have your creative drive!

zofia said...

Love the decorative stitch on the bias, sweet touch.
Aww, Heather!

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is just so cute........

Gilly said...

Oh these are so cute Tracy!

Artistic Accents by Darla said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

Lela said...

Oh very cute!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so cute! I love it! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Melissa said...

This is lovely! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

kanishk said...

these are so cute Tracy!

Work from home India

LAS MANOS DE MAMA said...

hola me encanto, es hermoso!!!
Por favor pod├ęs enviarlo a mi mail el patron para poder hacerlo para mi sobrina.
Gracias y saludos.

Nancy said...

This is so cute. Looking for a pattern for my new great niece. Thank you for your site.
Nancy