Monday, 27 December 2010

Free pattern for a Balloon Ball ( Balloon Cover.)

Mad Quilter's

Click the above link to download the pattern

For tiny ones a balloon can be a dangerous thing, it can be choked on once it's burst.
These balloon covers help to keep the balloon a little safer for baby to play with. 
The balloon acts more like a ball than a balloon once its in the cover.
My kids love these.


 I drafted my pattern to fit 23cm inflated round balloons
 I blew up a balloon and measured it's circumference.
And using a little maths worked out how wide to make 6 gores to make a sphere.
 To keep everything nice and symmetrical I drafted a quarter pattern.

 A little smoothing of curves and my test pattern was ready to play.
You could do something similar if you can't find 23cm balloons.
 I used two contrasting quilters cottons to make the first balloon cover.

I used a 1cm seam allowance.

 You need to cut six pattern pieces.

I sewed two together then sewed the third onto each pair. To make two halves.

Sew the pieces together only on the sewing lines. Stopping and back stitching at the points at the top of each pattern.



When you sew the two halves together leave a 3 cm gap in the side seam to turn the cover through. I didn't bother clipping the seams as I didn't want to weaken the seams.

 I don't really worry if the points aren't meeting, it's not like these are a wedding quilt.
Leave the turning hole open to insert your balloon to blow it up.
 The first try was a little wonky so I went back and modified my pattern.
The second also needed a tweak but the third worked a treat!
My friend Bronnie showed me how to make these balloon covers years ago when we both lived in Tennant Creek. I think Bronnie got her original pattern from the School of The Air in Alice Springs.
Bronnie put hers together with the balloon being inserted from the intersecting ends. I find this fiddly so I just put my balloon in via the turning hole.
They do look very nice with little circles appliqued over the intersecting ends and button holes sewn in for the balloon to be inserted, but that's a lot of work and I'm pretty lazy.

5 comments:

Lela said...

That's so cool!
Wouldn't that be awesome at a childrens party to make matching fabric (matching a theme) and filling the balloons with helium.
xxLela

Clodagh a.k.a. Isra said...

that is the first ti,e i have heard of these , great idea.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's a super cute idea! Thanks for writing it up, I'll be linking.

Crafty Mama said...

Love it Trace :)

Claire @ Claire K Creations said...

I just had a go at one of these and it turned out great. I've only been sewing for one month but your instructions were so easy I whipped this up in no time.
Thanks!