This is the end result and the colour in the photo is true.
I boiled the yarn in the strained mulberries liquid for an hour.
Then left the yarn to sit overnight in the liquid.
I did felt it slightly but it's not too bad as the yarn can still be wound off the skien.
I'm really not sure I like the colour after all of that effort.
It's sort of a muddy purple brown.
I still want to try dyeing with the walnuts.
The walnut tree looks fabulous this year and has lots of walnuts,
so there will be husks to try out walnut dyeing.
The books says that walnuts don't need a mordant.
And talking of books.......
We went to Port Pirie yesterday.
Mum sent me some money for my birthday and
I visited Meg's books and I spent my birthday money on two books.
The First is Make It Perfect By Toni Coward and the second Wool toys and friends -step by step instructions for Needle-felting fun.
My challenge is to make something from each of these books this week.
I'll write a review of each once I've had a chance to make an item from each.
We went to Pirie to pick up my machines which were in for a service.
One is an electric spinner, that didn't need a service!
Turns out my power board is a little dodgy.
If only I had checked the spinner in another socket!
My friend Helen of Stitcharoony saw this at an auction in Adelaide and bid on it.
She knew I would want it.
She is a total sweet heart!
There's a foot control and a dimmer switch.
The tensions are adjusted like on my Ashford traditional.
I've had a little play and spun a little merino on her and she spins very nice.
I'm finding with all my wheels each feels different to spin on.
They have their own personalities and I have to spend a little time learning the 'feel' of them.
7 comments:
Gorgeous yarn & what lovely finds you have coming your way, love Posie
I think if you find the right project for the mulberry dyed yarn, it will be fabulous. I like the colour in the picture. :-)
I think the dye looks great. It's an experience anyway, and like Sara said, once you find the perfect project for it, it will looks fab.
Dyeing with mulberries, fabulous Tracy!!
I am thinking a cute knitted teddy maybe?
Love those books too.
that mulberry yarn has come up beautifully! I think the colour is just lovely.
I like the colour but I guess I would have expected a deeper, truer colour. Still it will look beautiful made up. Rock on walnuts!
I like the colour! I did expect it to be darker, but I think its pretty, especially with the lustre from the EL. Looks like a fab pair of socks to me.
Lucky you with the electric spinner...what a score!
Post a Comment