Saturday, 19 February 2011

Undisciplined....

 I like to spend time in the garden.
Especially when the kids are particularly undisciplined.
Looking at my garden today I can see it as a reflection of my own personality.
My own undisciplined nature.
The pumpkin vines are taking over and escaping out the gate.
We now climb the fence to get in.

Being undisciplined results in a bit of a mess in the garden.
And the house.
And my wardrobe.
And my figure.
My piles of fabrics, boxes of yarn and bags of fiber.

The tomato plants that self seeded in the chook run are hip high now and so dense it's almost impossible to get in there to pick them.

 The Zucchini have suffered a little in the heat and humidity.
In the last few cooler days they've put on new healthy growth.
They are battling with the capsicum and leeks for space.

 This bed has carrots and capsicums.
They're not doing as well as we would of hoped.
This is the bed we grew the garlic in.

 The tomatoes we planted are doing well in here.

The bed with the Swiss chard is totally undisciplined and out of control.

There are little seedlings now all over the garden, battling with the weeds.

 The apples are ripening.
A few of them should of been thinned out and now the branches are in danger of breaking.

The mandarin tree is covered in new fruit.
Should I thin them or let them be?
 And on the block in the midst of the weeds grew these.
Life may be a lot easier and tider with a bit of discipline.
But I think I may miss the surprises of an undisciplined life.
I am trying to acquire some discipline.
I'd like to get some of this weight off me.
I'd like my home to be not in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome)
I'd like a coordinated wardrobe, with clothes that fit me and are tidy and neat.
I'd like my kids to keep their rooms tidy, might mean I need to teach by example!

I can relate well to Vic's Post on her Blog Punky&Me
I too am a Flylady failure, I think I failed at putting my shoes on, I never really got to shine my sink!
My house is a mess, as is my body.
I'd like to change things but have no idea how.
I lack the discipline to even start.

Today I looked at those beautiful Belladonna Lilies and I thought..
Does it really matter?
Ok the weight does that is a health risk, but everything else?
Those Lilies survived and flourished with no help from me.
They didn't need to be watered, pruned and cultivated.
Are they made hardier by the lack of discipline?

7 comments:

Kelly Casanova said...

If your garden is undisciplined ours is completely unruly! There are things we would all like to change, to have more balance (you should see the post I just wrote!)
I guess balance is the key and is also the hardest thing to obtain.
Don't the belladonnas smell heavenly?

Unknown said...

Love your garden Tracy, and yes have to remember not to sweat the small stuff.

Tas said...

I am sure that there is a balance somewhere but it is tough to find it. Discipline has its place but we creative types weren't born to be disciplined, were we? ;) Love your CHAOS acronym.

Anonymous said...

As you say these pink lillies that have grown in the middle of nowhere are belladonna lilies.

Perhaps not all your readers noticed that they have no leaves. Only the stalk has grown up and flowered. The leaves come after the flowers in this lily.

There is another common name for these lilies and in the vein of your theme of "Undisciplined" I think that other name applies much better here. Let's in this case call them "naked ladies" so called because they are without their full clothese ie leaves. So you have naked ladies parading themselves in your garden. How fantastic.

Marie said...

I see the pictures of your garden and all I see is health and life. Actually, your garden has lots of life's analogies - some events in our life are unplanned (tomatoes) but that can still be beautiful (lillies); sometimes our plans don't turn out the way we want them to go(carrots and capsicum).

We as a family struggle with the same things as you. So you are not alone with that.

I love the things that you post - they are so real and make my life seem a little more normal than always feeling like I live in an alternative universe to everyone around my town.

sallyb said...

I love your garden Tracy! It is teeming with life and vitality - isn't it interesting what we all see differently? I agree with Tas that creative types are not meant to be neat and tidy: our minds are wired to create and innovate. A little organisation can be good, too much is stifling.

objects of whimsy said...

that pumpkin is a very naughty plant!!! I think it must be friends with my grapevine which is over six foot in height and spans 2 sides of a very large block. In winter it is nothing more than a couple of deceptively small twigs. I call it the triffid.