Or how to make a roast stretch to a second meal...

This is a favourite of the kids. Very easy and economical to make.
1.5 cups of Self Raising Flour
2 Eggs
3/4 cup of milk
1.5 cups of chopped cooked meat - about 1 cm square pieces. I used roast Pork.
1 cup of Chopped veg - I used frozen mixed veg
1/2 a cup of grated cheese.
Olive oil to fry, because it tastes and smells nice. You can vary this to another oil.
Method:
Put the oven on to warm at a moderate temp. This isn't to cook the fritters just to keep them warm as you cook the whole batch.
Mix flour, eggs and milk together. Until smooth and thick.
Add the meat, vegetables and chesse. Stir to combine.

Drop large spoonfuls of mix into a fry pan on a medium heat.
You don't want it too hot or the outside with cook too quickly and the inside won't.
Cook a few minutes on one side and turn and cook the other side.
Pop them into a warmed pan and place them in the oven as you cook the rest of the batch.
This is handy if the inside hasn't cooked long enough, plus it lets the excess oil drain off.
This is a favourite of the kids. Very easy and economical to make.
1.5 cups of Self Raising Flour
2 Eggs
3/4 cup of milk
1.5 cups of chopped cooked meat - about 1 cm square pieces. I used roast Pork.
1 cup of Chopped veg - I used frozen mixed veg
1/2 a cup of grated cheese.
Olive oil to fry, because it tastes and smells nice. You can vary this to another oil.
Method:
Put the oven on to warm at a moderate temp. This isn't to cook the fritters just to keep them warm as you cook the whole batch.
Mix flour, eggs and milk together. Until smooth and thick.
Add the meat, vegetables and chesse. Stir to combine.
Drop large spoonfuls of mix into a fry pan on a medium heat.
You don't want it too hot or the outside with cook too quickly and the inside won't.
Cook a few minutes on one side and turn and cook the other side.
Pop them into a warmed pan and place them in the oven as you cook the rest of the batch.
This is handy if the inside hasn't cooked long enough, plus it lets the excess oil drain off.
I served tonight's with baked beans.
A very simple meal.
I'm a simple home cook.
I recently saw an episode of Compass featuring Gay Bilson she talked about how under valued basic home cooking is.
I totally agree with her.
I think we are loosing our cooking heritage. We don't all need to be Master Chefs, or present our food like one to be a good home cook.
Give me good old fashioned, slap it on a plate meals, any day over the culinary delights of the restaurants.
You can try adding lots of different ingredients and spices to the mix.
I don't add salt to my cooking. I think it ruins the taste.
I like to taste my food, not the salt.
Mum never cooked with salt so I'm not used to lots of salt in home cooking.
So if you can't do without salt sprinkle a bit at the end.
I do have a salt shaker, but I can never find it and it's probably caked up or empty.
You can add pepper too. I don't because my kids don't like it.
My kids like to eat these with lashings of tomato sauce, especially mummy's homemade.
I like them with pickles.
I often make these with corned beef and have used left over ham and turkey at xmas.
1 comment:
cooked up these fritters tonight with left over roast beef. yummy. thanks Tracy. from fellow aussie cook in London! :)
Post a Comment