Monday, 2 June 2008

Drum roll please.....

My newest creation! I got the idea from those DPNS cases that are around. I thought that's a bit of a complicated way of doing it.... ummm I'd like one but they are expensive. I wonder if I can make something that will do the same job but cost a lot less?

And this is what I've come up with.



A very basic design. It's just a couple of pieces of fabric sewn to the end of 2cm wide elastic! And I thought of this all by myself! Maybe there are some brain cells left in there?



Here are the ingredients!

A half finished sock on needles.

A length of 2cm wide elastic, just a little longer than the needles ..to allow for the seams. Also you don't want it tight you don't want your needles to bend or worse break!

Two small pieces of fabric ..you could use felt and this would be even easier as you wouldn't have to sew and turn the fabric to get a nice finish. Mine are 4cm by 9cm. You don't want them too big just big enough to hold the points in.




Fold the fabric in half and sew up the sides. Clip and grade the the corners and turn through.



Sew the unfinished ends to the ends of the elastic. This will hide the ends of both the elastic and fabric, helping them not to fray.



Flip the fabric over the elastic and sew down the sides and across the bottom. I did it with the elastic up so I wouldn't miss sewing them together :D.



And TA DAH you're done! One Double Pointed Needles project holder!

I'm so proud of myself ..I think I'll go solve the problem of world peace now ....

7 comments:

Lis said...

that's a really cool idea!
I have totally been looking for something similar.
you rock! lol

Mandy said...

Awesome Tracy! I love it :)

Anonymous said...

I am being educated. I did not know such things existed.
Oh dear, I do hope the old knitting and wool stays in the cupboard for a while.
I did relent and finish off a piece of my late Mum's crochet recently and now I am wondering why
I was such a wimp and did not finish it. Not too late even now!
I had a passion for using Coats fine cotton in eucru and have two of them on bedside tables...they cover the table and more so are a bit of a pest when trying to open a drawer. I did look at one this morning and wonder if it was time for a change.

* elizabeth * said...

Genius! Don't you love when those so simple but oh-so-useful ideas pop into your head? It's like: why haven't I thought of this before?

Tine said...

My goodness! I am making one of these for my mom! She knits a lot af socks, so this would come in so handy for her...

Thanks for sharing!

Zhenya said...

Beautiful solution - thanks!

Bunny said...

Great idea! I can see making one for every size needles just for storage purposes.