Sunday, 22 June 2008
Head Over Heels Baby Helmet
Head over heels baby helmet. – Size 6 months up
I was inspired to create this by a post on Nappycino. Someone was looking for a hat her baby wouldn’t pull off. I had been thinking of designing this for a while. I wanted to keep Michael’s ears warm and not have to tie the ties under his chin like I do with the other helmet I made for him. This little hat also offers a little warmth around Michael’s neck. The kids think he looks like a spaceman in it!
The design is based on the construction of turning a heel on a sock. If I knit this again I think I’ll use less stitches around the face to make it a little snugger , but then it may not fit for long as he grows. It probably won't stay on if baby is determined to pull off hats
Yarn
8ply or dk weight
Tension
24st to 10cm
Needles
3.75 mm 40cm circular needles or a set of 3.75mm Double Pointed Needles
Neck
Cast on 92 loosely. Join in a circle, being careful not to twist.
Work in k2 p2 rib for 9 cm
Put the middle 28 stitches on a holder – the stitches that will sit under the chin - in other words rib 60 then place previous 28st on to a holder.
Work st st for 10 cm on remaining 64 sts working back and forth. Slipping the first stitch of each row.
Turn the Top – like a sock heel
K across 43 turn
S1 purlwise p19 p2tog p1 turn,
S1 purlwise k to 1 st before the gap ssk, k1 turn
S1 purlwise p to 1 st before gap p2tog, p1 turn
Continue in this way until 1 st is left either side:
S1 purlwise k to last 2 stitches ssk turn
S1 purwise p to last 2 stitsches p2tog turn
Face
S1 k 20 k2tog k to end (40)
pick up 14 stitches down the side of the stocking stitch, rib across the 28 on the holder, pick up 14 the other side. Kniting circular again. Knit around to the start of the ribbing at the neck then commence to rib all the way around.
Work in rib for 4 cm.
Cast off loosely in rib. Fold face edging in half and slip stitch on the inside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
That looks really nice! Thanks for the pattern....
Tracy... love the 'spaceman hat'
Nice job on the pattern. It looks so snug and practical. Definitely bookmarking this pattern to use at a later date.
What a perfect baby hat. I've been looking for a pattern just like this and was thinking I would have to just 'wing it'. Now I'll just use yours. Thanks!
Post a Comment