Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Mug Bag tutorial

Materials Required:
Lining - I used calico and drew my pattern onto it
A Fat quarter for bag outer
An old CD
A scrap of batting/wadding and iron on applique paper or iron on pellon
Ribbon or cord
Beads for the drawstring
Sewing machine and thread

I used 1/4 inch seams and my 1/4 inch sewing machine foot

This is a very basic Mug Bag. You may want to patchwork the bag sides or add a stitchery. Also if your mug is taller than mine you may need to adjust the height of the bag wall.



Start with an old CD


Trace around it and add a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
This will be the base of your mug bag.


Measure around the circle with the added seam allowance.
Here it is 17 1/2 inches now add a 1/2 inch.
This gives you the measurement for the wall of the bag


Cut a Lining of 7 1/2 inches by 18 inches.
The 7 1/2 inches is the height of the bag.
I added a few inches to the height of the cup to work out this measurement.


Cut from your outside fabric a bag wall and base.
I used my linings as my pattern.


Here is all the fabric pieces ready.


Next I want to add a little padding to the bag to protect my mug.
I cut a piece of wadding 4 inches by 18inches
I don't have any iron on Pellon so I improvised with some iron on applique paper and a piece of scrap wadding.


Iron the iron-on-applique paper onto the wadding.
Peel off the paper.


Position it with the glue side down onto the back of your fabric.
I positioned it a 1/4 inch up from the bottom of my bag wall, so the wadding won't be in the way when I sew the base to the wall of the bag.


Carefully turn the wadding and fabric over and iron from the front.
This helps the iron melt the glue better.


Fold the bag walls in half and sew along the short end to create a tube.
Do this for both the fabric and lining.


Pin the circle base into position.
I use 4 pins. Dividing the circle and the tube into quarters and matching the pins


Sew the circle base into the tube with the tube on top. Gently ease the tube.
Practice with the lining first, don't worry about any puckers as this is the lining and won't be seen. If you find the wall a little big, alter the fabric wall a little, by sewing a new side seam, before you sew it into the fabric base.


Now you have two bags.


Put the CD in the base of the fabric bag.


Put the lining bag inside the fabric bag.
All the seams should be sandwiched between the two bags.
Turn down the top edge of both and pin them.


Topstitch the two bags together.


Avoid the baby climbing up your legs.


Using masking tape as a guide on your machine, sew another line of stitching 2 inches down from the top of the bag.
Start and finish at the seam of the wall.
Make sure to back stitch well at the beginning and end.


Sew another line of stitching 1 1/2 inches from the top.
Make sure you back stitch well at the beginning and end.


Open the seam between your two rows of stitching.
Only open the top fabric, this created a casing for the drawstring.


Thread a cord or ribbon through the casing.


Knot the ends of your cord.
Decorate with a couple of beads.
Load up your bag with your mug and off you go.

19 comments:

Tine said...

Great tutorial and very cute bag! But....why a mug-bag?! I have never heard of a mug-bag before :)

Fi said...

Great tutorial! I feel the pain with the baby climbing your leg.... Mine do the same.

Will definitely make this one.

Little Munchkins said...

Cool tutorial! I like giving mugs so this will come in handy. Thanks!

Lola....L..O..L..A....lo--oh--luh! said...

What a darling little bag!!

Flores Hayes said...

great work!!! the bag is so cute!

my roomate is THRILLED with her panda bag!
she just LOVE it
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Renee said...

Hi there - I belong to a quilting guild in Cape Town South Africa, and for our Christmas dinner we each make a handmade gift. I'd like to make this mug tote - but I can't see any copyright notice on this post, though I do see it on other posts. Is it okay to copy the pattern and made a gift for our gathering? Renee

Tracy said...

Renee,

You are very welcome too. The only thing I would object to is you selling the pattern. I'm all for sharing.

Renee said...

Thank you! Can I ask a question now that I've thought through all the instructions - doesn't the hole that you make for the drawstring fray? I'm contemplating getting a wide ribbon and sewing that on for the drawtring to sit inside - does that sound like it might work?

Tracy said...

It shouldn't as it isn't a raw edge. You are unpicking the seam allowance between the two rows of sewing. So it's pretty secure and the raw edges are inside the casing.

Tracy said...

And yes that would work and then you wouldn't need to sew the two rows of stitching you would just sew along the sides of the ribbon and tuck the raw ends under to make the hole for the drawstring.

Renee said...

Aaaahh - the light bulb goes on - I didn't get that it was unpicking a seam!

Highland Monkey's said...

What a good idea for a bag using an old cd as a base. Will squirrel that away for future use!

Patricia A. said...

thanks Renee, been wanting to make a mug bag for ages to take to group days.
Whenever I move and change groups, they seem to have done it last year or the year before and nobody has the instructions any more.
Loved the munchkin. Put him on your lap next time you are sewing straight seams and let him/her 'help' guide the fabric. You will have 7 new sewers in no time at all.
Mine had to be barred from the room as I was sewing with a treadle when they were all crawling and I was worried about them putting a hand into the mechanism.
My first attempt at sewing on elastic was with my 4 yo turning the wheel for me as I had my hands full with holding the elastic and fabric together. That doll's dress is still good 30+ yrs later. Of the 4 yo, he turned out to be a pretty good sewer.

Patricia A. said...

OOPS! my thanks should have been to Tracy, the Mad Quilter and mother of 7, not to Renee.

Tracy aka Mad Quilter said...

HI Patricia, you are very welcome and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. i liked the story about sewing with kids. My older girls Want to sew in the school holidays. So we'll each take turns keeping Heather and Michael out of the way

Patricia A said...

Hi Tracey,
I have a friend who taught all her grandkids to sew when they were under 5. She is a kingergarten teacher and a fantastic sewer.
I cannot remember if I sewed at the age 7 or not, but I do remember being barred from touching my mother's brand new sewing machine without her being there. That was VERY hard, I do remember that. My youngest was just as bad, he kept breaking the auto-threader on the machine I had when he was 2 (traded in the treadle for it). He could not keep away from it. So I had to pack it up quickly after using it, to keep them both safe when I wasn't there.

Ali said...

very good tutorial i like it.

custom mugs said...

your pic very nice.and a very good tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pattern. I have just heard about Mug Bags. Have made two from another couple of patterns. I have 3 more to make for people who have asked me them one. I am going to use your pattern if I may I just give what I make away. That is the love of giving I guess. I am just learning about doing sewing.

Patricia W