Sunday, 18 January 2009

Easy peasey pillowcase grocery bag

Pillowcase Grocery Bag

I have a lot of odd pillowcases in my linen cupboard and I thought this would be a good use for them. Here in SA we are going plastic bag free so I need grocery bags that I can reuse. i don't like the green bags in the supermarket. I question how 'green' they really are and they are not washable.

These pillowcase bags are green in many ways. They are washable and they use up something I no longer use. They are cheap to make, you can buy pillowcases in op-shops very cheaply. They are super strong being self lined.


These are simple to make. I made these three in less than an hour.

Requirements
1 pillowcase
thread
scissors
sewing machine



Turn your pillowcase inside out
Measure 24 inches up from the bottom and cut off the top of the pillowcase.
Keep the top fabric this will be your handles.

If you have any over lapped fabric then cut it away, but don't cut the side seams.
( you can cut this away before you cut the top off)

Turn the top of the pillowcase (the raw edge) down over the bottom part.
Until the raw edge is even with the base.
Notice in the photo this is turned down, like turning down a sock.


Fold over both sides 2.5 inches as in the photo above.


Stitch along the base using a straight stitch.
Becareful there are a lot of layers in there.
You need to finish the seam too I used a zig zag stitch to do this.
I would not recommend an overlocker to do this as there are too many layers and overlockers do not like bulk.


Turn the bag out and press the side gussets well.


Top stitch along the fold of the gussets. This helps the bag to maintain it's shape.


Now take the top scraps. These will make the handles.


You want the handles to be about 1.5 to 2 inches wide.
Fold in the raw edges and fold again as in the photos above.
Fold over the ends too, to neaten them
I'm not giving precise measurements here as it will depend on how much fabric you cut from the top of the pillowcase.
The length of the strap is the width of the pillowcase.
Take advantage of any finished edges you have and use then instead of folding in to neaten.



Top stitch around the the handles.


Stitch the handles onto the bag.
They are positioned either side of the gusset.
I used a box and half cross to attach mine.



Variations
  • You may like your bag deeper than mine. If so don't cut the top off but use the whole pillowcase and a contrast fabric for the handles.
  • If you like and have enough fabric you could add a pocket to the front of you bag to fold the bag into like I made on my other grocery bag tutorial. The blue bag above has a pocket added.

You are welcome to make and sell these bags.

7 comments:

willow and moo said...

Thanks Tracy! Another fabulous tute!!!

Crafty Mama said...

Another fantastic tute! Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! What a great use for old pillowcase :) You're a sewing queen!

Gilly said...

I love the tutes Tracy thank you for sharing your wonderful knowledge! (Even if it is just for the attention LOL!!!)

Unknown said...

you know Tracy I think the cousin of the sock monster (who swallows up all our odd socks) is in my house and his name is pillow case muncher, I just have no idea where all my cases go LOL! Great idea. We are trying to "say no to plastic" here at the moment and while I still use my coles and woolies bags that I brought back with me a few years ago I would prefer some fabric ones too. thanks for the tutorial.

Toria said...

Thanks for the tute Tracy, these look lovely & easy.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog today. Thank you for sharing your shopping bag instructions. I don't like those "green" store bags, either, and I like the idea of washable bags. Now I'm off to explore the rest of your lovely blog. Kindest regards -- Dianne B. in England