Tuesday, 11 November 2008

Jam Buns


I made these when I was a teenager. I found the recipe again in mum's recipe book. These are a huge success with the kids. It's an old recipe and is in imperial measurements, lucky I have scales that measure imperial. I usually double the recipe and divide the dough into 16.

6 oz flour (170gm)
pinch of salt
2 oz butter (60gms)
2 oz caster sugar (60gms)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
milk as required
About 1 tablespoon Jam

  1. Place flour and salt into a bowl. Give it a whisk to add a bit of air.
  2. Rub in butter.
  3. Stir in the sugar and baking powder.
  4. Beat the egg with 2 tablespoons of milk.
  5. Add milk and egg mix to the flour mix. ( You may need to add a little more milk) Work the mixture into a stiff dough.
  6. Divide into 6 portions, roll into balls.
  7. Place on a baking tray and make a hole with your thumb in the center of each bun. Put a little jam in each hole and pinch the bun together to enclose the jam.
  8. Brush the buns with a little milk and sprinkle them with sugar.
  9. Put in a hot oven 450F for 15 minutes.
They really are very yummy. Not a biscuit and not a cake a bit of a cross between the two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... yami :)

Georgie said...

Oh yum, they sound great! And I love recipes where I always have all the ingredients on hand :)