Tuesday, 24 August 2010

What's a Quesadilla?


 Michael likes his with baked beans

I didn't know until a couple of days ago. 
And from now on they will be seen around here often.

A quesadilla (Spanish pronunciation: [kesaˈðiʎa], usually anglicized as /ˌkeɪsəˈdiː.ə/) is a Mexican food made primarily of cheese inside a folded corn or wheat tortilla and cooked until the cheese melts. Occasionally a second ingredient is added with the cheese to add variety to the dish.
From Wiki!

Pete and I like ours with rainbow chard cooked with chili, onion, garlic and cream cheese.

In my recent efforts to cut the grocery bill I've been making my own torillas too. The kids prefer wraps to sandwiches in their school lunch. The supermarket wraps are over $4 for a packet of 8! For us that is $12 a week just on wraps. So a little internet search and I came up with a lot of recipes and videos to show me how to make tortillas.

The Recipe I've been using:

The video to show me how:


I make a batch the night before and the kids make fresh wraps for school in the morning.  I've reduced $12 for wraps down to around $3 for the ingredients! And the bonus of knowing what my kids are eating, no more preservatives.

2 comments:

Mouse Tales said...

Yum adding this to my cooking list tomorrow. My kids love wraps, plus we also use them as pizza bases so they are perfect.

Georgie said...

Yum! I love quesadillas. I like cheese with a little red onion, or with some leftover shredded cooked chicken.

I haven't gotten around to making my own tortillas yet, but I buy organic Mountain Bread online for only $2.50/pkt which isn't bad (free delivery too, and it keeps very well).