Monday, 11 October 2010

I love my iPad

We have two iPads
We pre-ordered them and had them delivered the day they were released in Australia.
We got the Wi-Fi only version not the G3 as I already have an iphone for mobile browsing. I can  use my iPad for surfing and reading email in places that offer free wi-fi.


We've had them a few months now and they have been used everyday.
The kids love them and I'm glad we did buy two.

Michael (aged 2) loves the ipad! He can use it with no help. If a 2 year old can pick it up and use it without being shown then you know how easy it is to use. It doesn't require the fine motor skills a laptop or a gaming system require making it perfect for a 2 year old. There are a large number of low cost and free applications which can be downloaded and used. Michael loves Monkey Preschool and a iWritewords. At 2 he can now identify all his alphabet, colours and numerals to 10. I love the ipad for those times we are in the car with Michael he can watch a movie or an episode of Dora on the ipad or play a game. He's dropped it a few times and it survived so they are pretty robust.

The older children also use the iPad for games but also for school work. The ipad gets used a lot for goggling homework and with the app 'Pages' they can write up their assignments and email them in Word or PDF format to their school email account. 

I use Good Reader and store my PDF knitting and crochet patterns on the iPad. I also download and read ebooks using Amazon's Kindle app, Kobo app and iBooks. There are a lot of free books to download too. I read in bed at night and I don't have to have a light on so don't annoy Pete.

I surf the net with my iPad too, mostly in bed while feeding Heather. I really like using my iPad as a recipe book in the kitchen and have a timer app to remind me to take whatever is cooking out of the oven.

I find the ipad a lot lighter, easier to use and portable then my laptop.

It has a lot of the family photos on it and can be used as a digital photo frame.

We claimed some of the cost of purchasing the ipads back on the Educational Rebate. The kids do use them a lot more than Pete and I but by saying they are mine and Pete's we can control their use easier.

I'd like to get Fern and James one each instead of a laptop for high school. they are a lot easier to carry around in a backpack.

Disclaimer: Apple did not pay me or request this review. I'm just a really happy iPad user.

5 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Tracey - love your review! I want one, but wasn't sure if it would be worth the money, but the more I hear about it and what you can do with it, Santa just might be bringing one to our house this year o:)

Photography said...

Happy Ipad user here too :-)

Photography said...

ipad i mean :-D

Georgie said...

I'd better not let my partner read this, he's keen to buy another and I said one is plenty for our family! The kids bicker over it. Evie only just turned two and she is very proficient at it.

McKenna said...

I love mine as well. I've been creating quilt blocks with the program Freeform. LOVE IT!