Sunday, 3 October 2010

Transitional Yoke Cardigan - Hand spun and knitted

I spun this up last weekend.
I spun it from  a Cream Moorit Romney X Corr X Merino Fleece from Lucinvale Coated Spinning Fleeces.
There was 1.1 kg of fiber in the fleece and by the time I'd spun, 
plied and washed it there was 800gms in the skeins.
I spun some very fine and some very thick and plying the two together.
The bobbins fill quickly when you spin the fleece thick.
 
 I spun the fleece in the grease just opening the ends up with a dog comb.
It took a real effort to spin it thick. 
When I first started spinning I couldn't spin it thin and now I struggle to spin thick.
There's a lot of loft in the yarn and it's very warm and snugly.


I used a 'recipe' to knit this from HERE
I'm calling it a recipe rather than a pattern as the directions aren't exact. 
You have to use a little brain power and maths to work out how to knit this one.

 I added some flare to the sides of the cardigan.
It's shorter than I would of liked.
I didn't have enough yarn to make it any longer.
I also made the sleeves shorter for that reason. 
With the sleeves being short I won't have to push them up to do the dishes.

 I cut my head off in the photos as the jowls aren't pretty!
Fern took the photos for me, she's getting pretty good with the camera.
 
Yarn: Handspun from  Romney X Corr X Merino Fleece
Needles: 5.5mm

2 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Looks stunning, i can almost feel how gorgeous that spun wool is. Love Posie

Bekah said...

I love that cardigan. Somehow I found your blog awhile ago, and I just love to see your creations. So inspiring!