Sunday, 20 July 2008

Outfit for Lilly


Lilly's Croknit Skirt
Wool hand dyed by me in pink and green
My design
5mm hook and 4.5mm 40cm circular needles

I started by crocheting the bottom of the skirt in a shell and post pattern. Then knitted stitches up from the foundation chain and worked in stocking stitch. I decreased the stitches and worked a 2x2 rib. I used a sewn cast off. This only took me two evenings to work up. I like combining the two yarn crafts. I like the drape of the knit and the texture of the crochet. By combining the two crafts you get the best of both.


Peasant Top - Enid Gilchrist Design
From 3-6 years clothes for Boys and Girls
Fabric is a beautiful embroidered linen I found at a Pt Pirie Op-shop.

Drafting the pattern took longer than sewing the top. The top is cut as one piece and sewn with a side-underarm french seam on both sides. The sleeves are gathered with elastic. The neckline was finished with 1.5 inch bias strip, sewn to create a ruffle and casing for the elastic.

Enid really was a genius at making economic use of fabrics. She was producing her designs after WWII when fabric was scarce and making the most of it important. Children's clothes were often cut from Adult clothing and the instructions to some of Enid's designs reflect this thriftiness.

I need to sort through all my drafted Enid patterns and store them for easy access. I've redrafted a couple because I can't find where I put the first drafted pattern. I now have 48 Enid Magazines in my collection and there are still more I haven't got!

5 comments:

Tine said...

What a cute outfit!

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is such a cute outfit, makes me sort ofwish I had young children..........okay I have come to my senses now..........I'm fine with having young adults!!!

Gill

Finally put a link to your blog on mine!!

Ruth said...

I love the skirt... what lovely hand dyed wool!

Bec said...

I love Lily's skirt so cute!!! Thanks again for Mickalee's dress!!

naomi said...

What a totally gorgeous outfit!! The skirt is just so cute and the top so delicate. Well done Tracy! I am totally baffled at how much crafting you manage to do with so many small children- amazing!