Saturday, 20 December 2008

Eight Pointed skirt tutorial - child size (updated with Toddler sizing)

Here is a simple skirt that will delight a little girl. Very quick and economical to make.
You will need:
  • An overlocker and a sewing machine, plus all the threads scissors etc.
  • Butchers paper, pencils and rulers for drafting your pattern .
  • A nice light fabric for the skirt. I used sari silk in this one but voile, light cottons, chiffons work well
  • A stretchy ribbing for the waistband. Make sure it's super stretchy.
Make The Pattern


Cut a 24 inch square out of paper. Fold it into quarters.


Draw the center 3 inch radius circle. I used a ruler to help.


Cut the center circle out. cut an opening into your pattern along one of the fold lines.
That is the pattern done.

Making The Skirt


Lay the pattern on doubled fabric and cut two.


Fold the fabric and pattern up and cut the center out.
Cut the opening.


open the pieces out. The openings you cut are the side seams of the skirt.
With the fabric right sides together sew the side seams.


Cut the waistband, 18 inches by 6.5 inches of stretchy ribbing.


sew the short sides of the waistband together.
Fold the waistband in half enclosing the seam.


with pins mark the skirt and waistband into quarters.
Then pin them together matching the pins.

Sew the waistband to the skirt. Stretching the ribbed waistband to fit.
I used a small zigzag stitch.


The waistband is now in.

Finish the hem with a rolled hem. I used my overlocker



Finished.


This tutorial has only one layer of fabric for the skirt.
I used two layers of fabric in this version. The top layer in that version was cut as two 22 inch squares. The two layers had their side seams sewn separately and then were basted at the waist together and then joined to the waistband.


edit : The ribbing waistband here has stretched. I'm going to add some elastic into the next one I make , or buy a better ribbing with good recovery.

Toddler Size

Miss D.K models the toddler sized skirt

The pattern for this is two squares of 16 inches with a circle of radius 1 and 3/4 inches cut from the center.
The overlay skirt is cut as two squares of 14 inches
The waistband was cut 17 inches by 6 inches.
It was constructed the same as the child's size.

D.K's Mum, Janene, sewed this little skirt.
She fell in love with my overlocker, it was the first time she had sewn a rolled hem.

12 comments:

willow and moo said...

Thanks heaps for this Tracy! I've been meaning to do a skirt like this myself, but just haven't found the time. Thanks for doing the 'thinking' for me!c

Georgie said...

Ooh, thanks! On my to-do list :)

Toria said...

They are gorgeous Tracy, especially those double layer ones in the next post. Thanks for the tutorial

Kat said...

Tracy - they're beautiful skirts! Thanks so much for the tutorial - it's now on my list too :) Kat xx

Corrie said...

perfect! I can do that....I'll definitely give it a go

Corrie:)

Helen said...

Here's my dress version. thanks for your generosity and sharing your tutes. They are fab.
http://www.helen.rooney.net.au/?p=51

Kylie said...

Tracy - this looks great - will have to give it a go - I am sure that I will have something suitable in the stash.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Unknown said...

Is there some kind of formula for figuring out the size of the square? I want to make one for my daughter who has a 31" waist. It's for her pirate costume for Halloween.

Unknown said...

hi Tracy, I just made Lulu's skirt for her pirate outfit following this tutorial, thanks so much for taking the time to share. I think the rib I used was much tighter than yours so getting it to stretch to the fabric was a challenge, but I won in the end ;-)

Phantom-Rose said...

Hello! This is a wonderful & easy process to follow - thank you! What would be the paper measurements & fabric amounts needed to make this skirt for an adult? Thanks! :)

Shannon Quinn @ At Least My Nails Look Good said...

This is soo cute. My DD loves Tinkerbell and the fairies from the movie and would love this!

rockpaperscissorscreate.blogspot.com