Saturday, 26 September 2009

Stick Weaving - School Holiday fun


Peter used his wood working skills to make some weaving sticks for Fern and Rose.
Made from 6mm dowel with a 2.5 mm hole drilled at one end and a point on the other made with a pencil sharpener. these are very simple to make.

Thread some long lengths of yarn through the sticks and you're ready to go.

Now take a ball of yarn and start to weave around the sticks.


And you're doing it!


You can vary the number of sticks you use.
Sew strips of weaving together to make scarfs, bags, mats, blankets and many other items.

More links on stick weaving:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Stick_Weaving_For_a_Quick_Homemade_Gift
http://rachelspinning.blogspot.com/2006/11/stick-weaving-mat.html
A video - http://www.graspr.com/videos/Stick-Weaving-101
http://ncag.blogspot.com/2009/01/another-stick-weaving-project.html

5 comments:

Vic said...

I don't think I've ever seen that, but it looks pretty damn cool!

The girls looks SO sweet intent on their work...!

Tas said...

Your kids get THE best holiday activities. Do you want 3 more to make up numbers?

zofia said...

Another cool idea :)

Button said...

Wow, even I could do that :) Very pretty girls showing the technique too, BTW.

Kat said...

That's awesome Tracy! I've never seen that before either.