Tuesday, 29 September 2009

I"M ANGRY!!!

Here in Australia our children are expected to complete the National Assessment Program - Literacy and Numeracy in years 3, 5, 7 and 9.

Why am I angry?

James said, "Mum ..I didn't do so well, am I dumb?"

My heart is breaking! I feel so sad for my little man. He has been judged a failure. He has been used to set the bell curve of results so that other children can be average or above average compared to him.

"But, mum I like writing, why have I done so bad."

Do the powers that be really think they are going to make schools better by demolishing my son's love of writing and self esteem?

Oh, you may say, you didn't have to show him the results.
He asked for them, he was handed them in an envelope from school. He did the test, which was a emotional nightmare for him in the first place. How could I hide his result from him! Or maybe I should of lied?

Now what you may not know is James has sever Dyslexia and an Expressive language disorder. What you also may not know is that there is NO funding in schools to provide extra programmes or help for children with this learning disorder. James does get some extra help due to his Expressive language disorder, which is a funded disorder.

To have James assessed for Dyslexia we had to find an Educational Psychologist and go on a 6 month waiting list to have him assessed. We had to pay to have this done.

Dyslexia is a well know, well researched learning disorder and still there is NO funding or programmes in our schools here to support children with this disorder. I find this disgusting! Don't you?

If this government is really serious about improving "standards" in our schools wouldn't you think they would do something about helping children like James? Or reducing class sizes? or better equipping schools? or putting in more school support officers?

I must admit when another parent raves about how well their child did on this test I'm ready to scream, "they only did well, because my child didn't. They were compared to my son!"

Ok I'm off to have my cry. I'm angry mostly at myself for letting my son be humiliated and next time he WILL NOT be sitting this disgusting test. I don't need a test to tell me how well my child is doing. I know he is a wonderful unique, bright, intelligent sweet loving person.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi James

Life gives us many tests, some you will do very well at and others not so well. It is very sad to hear about this one. The most important things to remember is not to give up doing the things you enjoy doing and know your family is very proud of you. (We are too). Love from the Nguyen family.

Tracy said...

A pity this wasn't a 'fair' test. It was like asking able bodied athletes to run against disabled athletes.
Then all the disabled athletes were judged as performing below average and all the able bodies average and above!

Now does that help anyone to have a good indication on their true ability?

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Oh Tracy, I truly feel your frustration. Seriously, funding for Dyslexia??!! Madness!
'That' test is a crock of shit. 'Education Revolution' my bum. Get out there and ask normal parents, school and teachers what they want and it is simple. More funding, more teachers, and more teachers aides. Not money wasted on tests that tell you what you already know!
Anyway I was more concerned with where our school was placed. Well below 'average'. Well well below.....but that's another post.

And James, you rock! And don't you let a little piece of paper tell you otherwise. xox

Khris78 said...

We had the same issues here, i wish now i took Sienna's tutors advice and refused the test.
It isnt a fair test and im sure is only a big competition between schools ...grr

Jess said...

Hi Tracy,
I just want to say that James is a very bright boy no matter what grades he gets, and it doesn't matter that he has dyslexia, my dad and I have it slightly and we're doing fine.

Go James

With love, the Nanny

ozjane said...

Tests suck, waste time and only help useless teachers who are not continually assessing their children and are able to speak of their progress in human terms.

I hated giving tests. Cannot remember many I did not avoid.

WendyCarole said...

we have tests in yr 2 (7yr olds) and yr6 (11 yr olds) the dropped the ones at yr 9 (13yr olds) in UK.

No one really likes them Schools spin them as fun etc but they cause no end of distress to loads of children and the curriculum has no become teach to the test.

One of my class the other year asked why I was teaching about volcanos in Yr 3 when it wouldn't come up in her science test in year6.

Teaching year is prescribed restrictive and down right tedious at times, no chance to be spontaneous.

Funding for special children with difficulties is not much better here either.

I hope James regains his confidence

Sue said...

Hey Tracy and James. I know and dont need any test to tell me different that James is an amazing young man. He is kind, gentle and helpful. He problem solves in his own way, not the way the powers that be say we have to.Tracy take a stand and set the example.DONT let him do the test again.
You were right to let him see the results and he had every right to ask for them. Sadly life will have lots of ups and downs for James but it will be his strengths that count and those he will learn through your guidence and love.