Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Too busy being busy?

I like this article:

Just too busy being busy?

and this one to!

Before Our Time

I'm a mum of six, with another on the way.
I do all those tasks involved in raising a family.
I work part time as a relief teacher.

I find the time to spend with my children.
I find the time to play and learn with them.
I find the time to go to work.
I find the time to craft.
I find the time to have a coffee with a friend.
I find the time to chat on the net.
I find the time to blog.
I find the time to do the things that are important to me and my family.

The house is not spick and span.
The washing isn't always up to date.
The kids baby albums were never finished.


And that article really made me think.
For some reason when I tell others I have the time to do what is important to me,
I have a guilty feeling.
Am I doing something wrong to have time ?

Is it because I'm just too lazy to fill my time?
Or does everyone else really have busier lives than me?


3 comments:

Toria said...

Nope you shouldn't be guilty at all (cause I don't want to have to feel guilty too!). It's far more important that you stay sane, for both your sake & your families, than that the housework is always perfectly done. I abandoned perfect housekeeping years ago - I maintain what I consider an acceptable hygiene level, but I'm never going to win any perfect house awards. Your children always look happy & well cared for, your house looks in reasonable condition when we see shots in the background, you get time with things you enjoy, sounds good to me.

Mandy said...

You know what - I think that it's really all about perception ;) I will never forget when I was 19, and a sole parent of a 6 month old baby, someone that I know, who was only a few years older than me, no children and working full time, when asked if she'd read a book I was currently reading, said 'Oh, I don't have time to read - because *I* work'. At the time I felt offended by the obvious rudeness, and a little guilty - as if I somehow *did* have more time to do such things as read, and that I should feel bad about this. In retrospect of course, being a sole carer for a 6 month old baby at the tender age of 19 is no walk in the park, my 'spare time' was more than likely far less than the other person :P It's just that I *made* the time for something that was important to me. I've often looked back on that particular conversation and giggled, especially when said person discovered just how time consuming young children are, upon having their own. lol.

Kelly Casanova said...

Great articles. No, I don't think you should feel guilty about having time, your'e obviously doing something right.