Sunday, 14 June 2009

Wildlife in the Lounge



Cats are hunters and really don't belong in this country.
Saying that I have a cat! His name is Ollie. We got him because we had a problem with mice in the house. Since Ollie moved in we've had no mice, so he earns his keep.

But the down side is, he also kills wildlife. This time he caught a bird, unfortunately it wasn't a starling or a sparrow both of which are introduced pests.


Ollie brought his prey into the lounge and as I tried to rescue the bird Ollie let it go and it flew to the ceilings and perched on the reinforcing rods. I caught Ollie and evicted him from the house. Our ceiling are high and I couldn't catch the little bird. The cat got back into the lounge as the kids let him in, he was desperate to get back in and took the opportunity to continue the pursuit for his prey. So around the room flew the bird, the cat and I.

Ollie is an extremely good leaper and leapt about the furniture, climbing the curtains.

So the cat was chasing the bird, I was chasing the cat and the three of us raced around the lounge in a wild type of dance. It was probably very funny to watch!

Ollie was better at catching birds than I am at catching cats.
He caught his prey again and while he was distracted I caught him!
I think I rescued the bird in time.
I had the bird and the kids held Ollie, who was desperate to get his prey back!
I let the bird go out on the Bottle brush Tree.
As soon as I set the bird down on the branch it flew away.

Ollie is not happy with me!

3 comments:

Vickie said...

oh I so hear you n the bird thing..our cats do the same thing..2am the other morning I was on my way to the little girls room when I spotted #2 cat CYA (seeya) on the chair playing with a towel that was there..hmm I thought to my self that's wierd so I placed my hand under the towel , sure enough fluffy stuff...I shoeed CYA away and got the bird outside..well I can tell you I paied for that for the rest of my sleeping time she came in the bdroom and humbugged me all night grrr..but she is an excellent rat and mice killer..and always brings her catch inside for us to see arghh why do they do that eh? oopsy sorry for the short story ...cheers Vickie

Anonymous said...

LOL The thought of you chasing the cat that was chasing the bird is so funny!

ozjane said...

I shall have to get Ms Moggie to have a talk to Ollie.
She is an inside cat and loves to listen to the song of the birdies.
She ignores the bad cats from next door and other places who come into our yard coverting the birds that call it home...so Mum goes out banging doors yelling "leave our birdies alone" go home.
The ironic part is that they have birds at home....in a aviary....and come here to try and get ours.
But we watch very hard. LOL
Mummy is petrified of birds inside so any cat that does that is in for dire dire disaster.
I have learnt to cope with mice being brought to me in the bedroom and put in the en suite shower ...it is a good racing rink to chase the little beasties around.
Poor scared Mummy has to pick up the toilet brush..stab the mouse, avoid the cat, throw mouse in toilet and flush it...........this is the samee Mummy who though Mr EX was shocking for putting a dead goldfish down the toilet. Thank godness he was over gold fish by the time I became Mrs. He did however have budgies and finches in cages....up high where the MS Moggies could not reach.
Mind you I would not trust this Ms Moggie the third with anything up high.....so we just stay happily inside or in Mummy's arms outside.
We sometimes sit and snuggle in the sun.
After the night of three mice...I got ratsak. I am only so brave and only want to be woken so many times.