Thursday, 26 November 2009

Originality, design, creativity. plagiarism and arrogance...

I recently was accused of plagiarism. It was thought that I had copied a design from a commercial company and made a couple of changes and called it mine. The cross over baby top I drafted isn't an original style of garment. It's a commonly known garment style. I have vintage pattern books with sketches of similar garments. I've seen similar styles of garments all over the web.

Including:
The smocket
An Adult version - Apron
Another adult one
One for a premmie baby

There are many more, these are just a few. Although the style of garment may not be 'original'. the patterns and designs of those I have linked to and my own are.

So that makes me ask what is 'Original Design'? Can it be defined? Is there a definition for it?
I went and Googled.. Original Design Definition... that didn't provide me with any answers. That's made me think that originality of design is something defined by the observer and initiator. It's subjective. What one person believes to be original to another may not be so.

It's very easy these days to accuse people of plagiarism, especially with the anonymity of the net. A place where you can't see the hurt you cause to others and can hide your identity and not see or take ownership for the consequences of your actions.

Arrogance is defined as thinking you know or thinking you can do something better than another. To me it is arrogant to think that no one else in this world can design or invent something similar to you without having copied it.

If the radio and other amazing technologies can be simultaneously invented. Why is it impossible to believe the same for a crafted article?

If I designed a skirt and embellished it with a bird and some ric rac does that mean no one else can put a bird applique on a skirt with ricrac? Would that give me the 'right' to go around the net accusing every other person who has a bird appliqued on a skirt with ricrac of copying my design?

So what is original thought and design? Is there such a thing? Are we all inspired and build on the work of others?

As Isaac Newton wrote:
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Are we too quick to accuse others?

Should you be worried of being accused yourself if you design crafted items? It only takes one accusation, to ruin your day.

I suggest if you really believe someone is 'ripping' off another's design you contact that person! Not leave posts on public forums or make snide remarks over the net going on about how 'sick' you are of people stealing other peoples designs!

I know after being on the receiving end of such an accusation the feeling isn't nice. Maybe it was a lesson I needed to learn? I used to get really annoyed seeing designs I thought belonged to another not being credited.

In future I'll put up or shut up!



Some interesting links:.
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/090120-armani-accuses-dg-of-copying.aspx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/6569403/French-fashion-designer-accuses-Chanel-of-copying-one-of-her-patterns.html

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/12/18/1040174294307.html

http://www.turtlezen.com/originalthoughts.html

7 comments:

Amber said...

Mmmm...not a nice addition to your day Tracy!

Jack said...

Been there Trace and it is a horrible feeling. Hugs.

Natalie Hennekam said...

Good post Tracy, and sorry you've had this experience. xx

People just need to understand that most designs are not 'unique'. This is why that you generally can't copywrite a design unless serious artistic merit can be proven - which is very rare.

But if you work up your idea, and draft the pattern yourself, the it is your original work - and that pattern can be protected.

my two cents ;-)

Kelly Casanova said...

That's really crappy and I totally agree with your comments, that originality is subjective, we are influenced every day by things we see, read etc. That doesn't mean that we "copy".
Thanks for a good post, this is an ongoing issue in the craft world.

Shannon said...

hmmmm......I had linked you to my blog post of the similar one which I did too. I did this of my own accord without copying anything. People need to pull their head out I reakon. There is such a thing as minding your own business. What did the naysayer gain from it anyway, it was a free friggen tute for goodness sakes. Given our by someone who generously puts photo tutorials up on her blog. Some people make me mad.

Gilly said...

Tracey I have had my say on what I think of you being accused and Im sorry it happened. I think that people are too quick to judge. please dont stop doing what you love because of someones comments. I think you're talented and a wonderful inspiration. I wish i could do half the stuff you do :)
xx

Helen said...

Love the Isaac Newton quote. I think what makes us unique as humans is the ability to see and improve upon what we see. Tiny change upon tiny change. Or sometimes big changes, but all are worthwhile. You've every right to be the "mad" quilter ;)