My knitting needles need a new home! I started by measuring the longest of my needles.
I picked my fabrics and cut them to size. I need a back, front, wadding (all the same size) and three pockets. I doubled the fabric over for the pockets. This saves having to finish seam.
I layered the wadding, back and pocket on top of each other. Then basted them together around the edges.
I drew a straight line down the centre as a guide to sewing straight lines. I measured the width of my needle to work out how wide I should sew the pockets.
I used the walking foot on my machine and a seam guide to sew stright lines making the pockets. I worked out the size I wanted the next pocket to be.
I layered the 2nd pocket on top of the first. The pockets in this one are to be wider to fit my circular needles.
I layered the 3rd pocket on top of the second. I basted around the edges to hold the pockets in place.The I sewed the pockets. It was important to only sew on lines I had sewn before so as not to reduce the size of the first layer ofpockets.
Next I made the top flap which will keep the needles from falling out. It needs to be smaller than the roll so that it won't get caught when you sew the outer fabric on. I doubled the fabric and sewed 3 sides and turned it out.
The flap gets basted to the top edge and pinned out of the way of the edges. Lay the outer fabric on top face down.
Sew around the edges leaving a 6 inch opening to turn the roll through. Cut some ribbon to be used as the tie which will close the roll.
Top stitch around the edges. Catching the ribbon in the gap and closing the turning hole. Then I loaded it up with all my needles. I filled it! I also found I have a heap of odd needles :) Some of these needles belonged to mum. I think they left home with me :) Sorry mum.
And here it is all neat and tidy! Now I need to go and find that study I'm supposed to be doing :(
6 comments:
Nice! I have one like this, made before quilting (and a pretty stash of fabrics) ... maybe I need to make a new prettier (and larger) one. But first, tell me what you did with your circular needles--I've not seen a good idea for those ...
hi Sophie,
The front pockets are larger. about 6 cms. that's where the circular kneedles are. If you click on the pic. you may be able to see better.
thank you for sharing those great instructions. I need to make one of these!
Wonderful instructions! I don't knit, but I'm sending all my knitting friends to look!
wow that is a great set of intsructions there :) nice one
I have one just for circs but I'm finding that they fall out alot so I might have to make one with flaps and snaps :)
Post a Comment