Thursday, 23 October 2008

Still OTHER sewing..

Yes .. I know .. I should get on with the quilt... but I did promise Miss R ( Lilly's best friend) I would make her a pretty dress..


Shift Top finished with Bias binding at neck, armhole and hem.
Pattern from Enid Gilchrist's Under 5 fashion


Sundress or Pinafore for Miss R
Pattern from Enid Gilchrist's Kindergarten Set

Fabric is quilter's cotton. I bought it on special for $18 p/m It's so pretty, it shimmers. That's really not so bad as I did get two garments out of the meter and there is still a little left to trim a skirt or put cuffs on shorts.

I put my labels on them, a bit of advertising :) In the bottom right hand corner .. just like a painting. I'm sure Miss R will look, as pretty as a picture, in these pretty creations.

The urge to get on with the quilt still hasn't bitten. The fabrics are sitting on my cutting table waiting for me to decide what they are to become. I've gone off the stitchery idea for two reasons .. 1. It's someone elses design, as I'm getting paid for this quilt it would violate their copyright. As I have no idea where I got the design from I can't ask permission either. And 2, It's really not big enough to be the center of a medallion quilt of 1.5m square. So I'm back to the drawing board. Thinking ...thinking....

Rose still doesn't have her dress and I really need to think about preparing for Xmas, it's not that far away, about 8 weeks. I made the silly suggestion of a handmade xmas for the family this year.

3 comments:

Tine said...

Those dresses are cute!! I love the butterflies....

Anonymous said...

Love the use of quilting fabric in the dresses. Wish you were closer.
I could have fun clearing out some crates.
I am so glad the $ is down ...I must not buy more fabric. There is no room and I am not doing anything except aching and sleeping or not sleeping when I want to.
I think you need to read my quotes on good intentions...about 3 entries back in the blog.......
I was feeling a bit like...when will I get going again.
It has been a useless week except the handyman has tamed the garden a little. Have wasted yet another ticket for a night at Les Mis.. decided the pain would just not be worth it. A new venue but still sqishy and cramped for leg room was the report..so I opted to stay home and stretch on my bed. But I should be sewing.
I have 6 bags to make and now have the fabric. Who of us will get onto it first. You I bet.

Sue said...

very cute chooky...making good use of quilt fabrics. Poor Rosie, tell her to move up here and I will sew her pretty dresses