Sunday, 5 July 2009

Learning something new.


I visited our local op-shop on Friday, they had a lot of craft books in.
I found this great book.

In the book was a how to make hairpin lace.
A technique I've never tried before.
It was popular in Victorian times and the 70's.
I'd bought a couple of the hairpin lace forks on a previous op-shopping excursion.
So with book, a Youtube video, wool, frame and hook in hand I got to work.


The hairpin lace frames are to the left, I used the smaller of the two.
My very first go at hairpin lace.
It didn't take very long to get the feel for this technique.
It's really just crochet around a frame which creates loops of an even size.
Just a little sample. I enjoyed making the band.
I think this could be another craft to add to the list.


You make lots of bands and join them together to create, what looks mostly like shawls in the vintage pattern books.
If I made a few in fine crochet I could use them as lace inserts on garments.


I sewed the ends of my sample together and made a headband for Lilly!
Pardon the hair she took to it with scissors and it's all different lengths.

4 comments:

Janet McKinney said...

Awww I had that book when I ws a teenager. I kept it for years, and then somewhere along the line it went missing. When I wanted it again, do you think I could find it. There is anothe book in the series also - they are fantastic. If I found one at an op shop I wouild snaffle it up immediately

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Wow! Love that you have made it into a head band. Very cool xox

Tas said...

Lovely technique. You are one productive mama. Does all that crafty goodness come with pregnancy hormones lol?

ozjane said...

I found a few like this in Mum's collection. Have kept them for now. Not sure why.