I started going grey in my late 20's and feeling I was too young to go grey. I coloured my hair. About 2 years ago I made the decision to go grey gracefully. I was having some reactions to the chemicals used in the dyes and was pregnant. After a little internet research decided that dyeing wasn't safe for me to do. Why would I place myself and my babies health at risk just for the sake of my appearance.
Hair Dye Horror Stories
Hair Colour to Dye For
Hair Dye and Pregnancy
Grey to me signifies wisdom and I hope with age I've gained a little, grey hair may help by at least giving the illusion of such! Grey says to me I'm happy with who I am. I'm comfortable in my own skin I don't need to dye my hair to feel good about myself.
Really look around at women who do dye their hair. Have you noticed how it looks sort of mismatched with their skin and highlights their wrinkles? As you age your skin tone changes if you continue to dye your hair the same shade it will no longer match your skin tone, which has the opposite effect of making you look younger!
If you don't believe me then have a look here at these photos of women who have gone grey! Can you honestly say any of them look older because they have grey hair?
A nice article here on selecting hair colour to match your skin tone.
I've had a few comments on my now ever increasing grey locks.
"Oh you're too young to go grey, you should dye your hair!"
" I wouldn't of known you were in your 40's if it wasn't for your grey hair."
" I wish I was brave enough to just go grey."
Since going grey I've been amazed by how rude other women can be. The peer pressure even at my age to conform. Somehow by not choosing to colour my hair I've offended them.
I find it really sad we live in a society that doesn't value age, that wants to hide it. What is so awful about growing old? I love growing old. It means I'm still growing, still learning! I'm looking forward to seeing my grandchildren, watching my own children become parents and the only way to do this is by aging. And really what is the alternative?
Every grey hair God gives me is a blessing, it's a badge of my experience. I've earned everyone of these glorious steaks of colour and I'm displaying them for all to see not hiding them under chemicals.

Other articles on going grey Gracefully you may enjoy:
The Age - SBS presenters going Grey
ABC Radio Life Matters - Going Grey Gracefully Challenge
Going Gray - Anne Kreamer
Best Hair Color: natural or Grey
8 comments:
My mum has never dyed her hair, and she started going grey in her late 30s. I blame my younger sister - in the photos when mum was pregnant with her, mum's hair was still mostly dark brown, a year or two after J was born it was quite grey, hehe. Anyway, people have often mistaken her for older than she is, but I think she looks great, and I agree with you about the skin. Mum has GREAT skin (she also rarely wears makeup which probably contributes). She's 60 now and I guess has 'grown into' her grey hair, you could say.
HI there,
I was just wondering if you were to do it over would you have dyed your hair in your late 20's or let it go grey? I am 27 on Tuesday and am starting to go grey, i have never dyed my hair before but was seriously contemplating doing it.
I am also turning 43 this year. My children keep telling me I look much older than Steve (My husband) because of the grey.
I did get my hair dyed for a couple of years but then I decided it was just too much for something vain.
Secular society seems to have the opinion that aging is bad and makes you less of a person somehow. It is such a lye.
Tracy point out some very valid issues. I have often let my roots grow out long than what my friends say is "acceptable" and often I have looked in the mirror and thought "what if I didn't colour it"? I am going back now to look at some of the links at the end. Some of those ladies look great for their change!
I have noticed a few grey hairs in the recent months and I, like my mum and my nanna will grey in one place on the top of head. It will gradually span out in a swirl pattern. I say my grey hairs have come from my kids and I wouldn't send them back for anything, I also don't think my husbands love me has dwindled any since they have started appearing.
My nanna is grey and it suits her, my mum dyes her hair and it suits her. It depends on the person, and I am sure mum dyes her hair because her whole head isn't grey yet. She looks like a car with a GT stripe. LOL!! Once the transformation is compleate who knows what she will do.
At the moment I am content with the few grey hairs I have but I dye my hair when I feel like it, not to "cover" or "hide" anything. I do it for me when I feel like a change or a revamp, it isn't constant.
Your hair looks great Tracy, and I am glad you are standing your ground and not giving in the "cover all" attitude of others.
Great post Tracy, have I mentioned your hair looks great long? :)
Its wonderful to see someone secure in themselves. I am 37 and for the last 4 nearly 5yrs have let my hair be its natural grey colour. I was sooooooo tired of keeping up the the fortnightly root touch ups or looking less than 'nice' if I didn't keep it up.
The one thing I can't stand is constantly being refered to as my children's grandmother ggrrrrrr :(
funny but I used to go bananas at Mum who used to dye her hair too dark.....I got it lighter and actually it did suit her at just on '90 when she died.
I agree with what you say.....but surprisingly it is not right for me
I am not big on make up etc but do need color in the hair.
I go over the top to have fun and make it clear that it is colored.
I think it is an idividual thing.
I have a friend a year or two older than I and she is white and just looks so old.
I am always taken as a decade younger whether I attack hair or not....it is white around the hairline but has just gone darker not really grey. I thought as an auburn haired girl I would go salt and pepper but had a very early hysterectomy (can never spell that) and it took the red tones out of my head hair.
Post a Comment