Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Spinning East Friesien


My mum gave me this spinning wheel for my birthday last year.
As a new spinner I had no idea what to do with her to get her going.
I didn't even know she was a double drive or how to set the drive band.
So she sat and gathered dust and I admired her from afar.
I did a google search and discovered she's an old wheel.
Link HERE to her details.
So from that information I think shes late 1970's early 1980's



She's very beautiful and makes a great decoration!
And I finally got her working!
I gave her a dust, oiled her up, used some kitchen string as the drive band.
Worked out the drive band is just one big loop not the two I initial thought.
And i set her to work spinning up the 180gms of East Friesien wool I received from Jane at Moseley Park in the natural fiber club.

psst: Jane has another fiber club starting in January!


Here's the 180gms of East Friesian all spun up and dyed by me.
It didn't take the dye up as well as some wools I've dyed.
I'm still pretty happy with it.
there's a little luster to the wool too which is nice.


Jane says that East Friesien is a milking sheep, related to the Finn and the Gotland.
The wool is supposed to have a low itch factor so even though it is slightly course the comfort level is high.


Learning to spin on a new wheel meant I wasn't as even as I am on the Ashford traditional.
It all takes practice.
I'm enjoying the learning journey.

ETA: 10 WPI and 205 meters

1 comment:

Birdydownunder said...

love the wool.
Hope you get the spinning wheel going. good luck