Saturday, 12 December 2009

Passing on the sewing addiction..


While I was down the shed sewing today.
Fern had her first lesson on the Old Empisal.
I bought the Empisal for $30 a couple of years ago, she came with a set of cams for doing decorative stitches.


Today I got Fern to practice sewing a straight stitch and controlling the machine by drawing pictures with her sewing.
I had her experiment with the stitch width and length dials to see what happened.

She had a really good time playing with the machine and wants to make a simple bag next.
I enjoyed watching her 'discover' how to control the stitches and how to move the fabric.
We all need to just play to learn.
As adults I think we get too focused on the end result, not really appreciating the little skills that get us there.

3 comments:

Toria said...

Looks more fun than just the line after line of straight rows we had to do at school. On ruled paper.

Unknown said...

how lovely, I hope my DD takes an interest when she is older...

Unknown said...

I gave Ella some paper with lines to have a go a while back and she got bored so quickly and hasn't wanted to have a go since...perhaps I will let her have a play like this too during the holidays...we need to encourage them as much as we can!