Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Where's Heather?

This is  a frequently asked question in this house.
Yes, that is Miss Heather trying to escape out the front gate!
She may only be crawling but that doesn't stop her escaping outside at every opportunity.
She's taking after Michael.

There are lots of advantages to a large family.
Lots of willing hands to give cuddles when needed.
Always someone to play with.
Always someone to fight with too.

And there are disadvantages too...
"I thought you were looking after Heather!"
Mr Nobody is a regular visitor who leaves doors unlatched and little toys in easy reach.
Heather loves chewing on lego and Polly Pocket.

 We put our tree up on Sunday after the Christmas Pageant
There are lots of memories of Christmas past.
Most of the decorations were made by the kids in previous years.
There are wooden shapes painted by friends.
Decorations made at the Tennant Creek town library.
Decorations made with the Tennant Creek Guides.
So many happy memories.
That get excitedly talked about.

"Oh, I remember this!"
Followed by the story associated with the decoration.
 This is Heather's first Christmas.
She liked all the decorations, she tasted a few! 
And she joined in the excitement.

Of course I spend most of the time stressed by the mess and the yelling.
Every Christmas I end up stressed and grumpy.
The kids are over excited and there are lots of tears.
And yet when I remember the Christmases I remember the fun not the stress.

A constant refrain heard from me at this time of year ....

"Why do I bother, they just fight and ruin it all!"

I suppose I bother because I won't remember the stress just the joy in the end.

"Bah Humbug!"

I'm already over Christmas, this year.
Too many lollies, too many fights, too many tears and too much excitement.

6 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Ah yes, we only have 4 children but we're always looking for our 3rd daughter!! There is always one!! Love Posie

Kelly Casanova said...

I remember your problems with Michael doing a runner and being found out on the street! I'm constantly, constantly telling my kids to shut the front door!!!
I hope this Christmas is different for you. The children will behave, you will be relaxed and joyful and someone else will do all the work. OK, so the last one's not happening, but I do hope you enjoy Christmas :)

Mandy said...

Oh, I hear you Tracy ;) Jackson is my wild one....sigh. He climbs everything in sight, it's quite terrifying! Not to mention, we're in a high set, so very soon I will need to keylock the front security screen and *remove* the key from the door :P

Therese said...

Joseph likes to have me in sight all the time. I cannot even go to the toilet without him throwing a tantrum about it.

I am sure your Christmas will be great and you will remember all the good things.

Unknown said...

Tracy I have just finished reading a book called Christmas Miracles. It has reminded me of the power of prayer. I hope you get a miracle too. Hether is just like Michael LOL.

I have not been on line much as Eyad is suffering with bad colic which has me up carrying around a baby most of the time.

I hope the holiday cheer catches you xxx

Tracy said...

Thanks for the well wishes all :) CLo I will have to look that book up I need a little reminding too right now.