It's the most important job I'll ever do.
And I want to do it the best I can.
| James in the school play |
I want to raise happy adults, with compassion for others and strong sense of their own identities.
Adults with self worth and self confidence.
Adults who can empathise with others.
Adults who are emotionally resilient to the world around them.
Adults who take ownership for their own actions, who know that they own and control their own emotional, physical and mental happiness.
Adults who will leave this world a better place for my grandchildren.
Adults who will be willing to compromise for the good of all
Adults who will place more emphasis on their responsibilities in this world rather than their rights.
Adults who have enough self control to let other people have their beliefs without starting wars.
Adults with respect for the difference of others.
Adults who can communicate well.
Adults who can think through to the consequences of an action.
Adults who can see a job that needs doing and do it.
Adults who are life long learners.
Adults who don't feel the need to point out others mistakes to make themselves feel superior.
None of my wishes for my kids are tied solely to academics.
We need truckies, factory workers and cleaners just as much as we need doctors, lawyers or dentists.
Without the cleaner a doctor can't work in a sterile environment.
Without factory workers a lawyer won't have a laptop.
Without road crews none of us could drive on well made roads.
I don't like the concept of a "Clever Country"
I think we should aim to be a Happy Country.
A country that aims to educate it's children to be well rounded adults, not just clever.
A country that encourages children to fill THEIR potential.
I don't want my kids educated in the basics I want MORE than the basics for my kids.
Happy people don't start wars.
Happy people don't hurt others
Happy people don't take what doesn't belong to them.
Happy people don't feel jealous of others.
Happy people don't feel worthless.
I don't want my kids to get their self worth from the job they do.
I want it to come from the person they are.
I read Paul Jennings book, The Reading Bug a few years ago.
And the thing I remember the most about, was where he writes about reading helping children to become emphatic to others. That in becoming the character we develop the insight into how others feel and react.
I'd never thought about this before, but he is so right.
Teaching kids the 3R's is important but it shouldn't be the the most important thing.
Adults need to read, write and add up to do the everyday things we all need to do.
I'd like to see schools value and promote their students abilities outside these areas too.
I'd like to see more programmes that enhance a childs self esteem and self worth.
I'd like so see more communication, team work and interpersonal skills taught.
In my opinion it isn't the brightest who gets the jobs it's those who can get along with others.
The thing I want the most for my children is..
Happiness.
What do you want for your children?
Where do you believe self worth and happiness comes from?
Is happiness over valued in your opinion?
What do you value?
I've placed a Linky here if you'd like to share you're parenting goals too..
I've never gone a linky before!
6 comments:
Oh wow Tracy, what a wonderful post. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I need to have a good think now about my parenting goals. I know that teaching resilience is right up there.
Perfect post Tracy. Just perfect.
Just beautiful, Tracy! You have a beautiful way with words.
Well said Tracey! I know I wish those things for my children!
I'm so glad you found me! I agree whole heartedly. This is how I feel about raising my children too. We are doing all we can do and even making some big life changes to ensure we can do that in the future too! xo
wonderful post!
Post a Comment