Saturday, 14 February 2009

Humbug Pattern Weights Tutorial

HUMBUG PATTERN WEIGHTS


I've been meaning to make myself some pattern weights forever. I finally got around to it this afternoon.

Requirements
Scrap fabrics at least 8.5 inches by 4.5 inches
rotary cutter and rulers
rice or other filling to add weight.
Thread and sewing machine.

Cutting
A rectangle 8.5 by 4.5 inches for each weight.


Cut a rectangle 4.5 inches by 8.5 inches.


Fold the rectangle in half. Matching the short ends.


Sew a 1/4 inch seam along two sides leaving the top open.


Fold in the top edges a 1/4 inch and press them well.


Fill the bag 3/4's full with rice. (or other weighting)


Pin the bag closed. Have the seams meeting in the center.
I put the pins an inch below the opening to keep the rice out of the way while top stitching the bag closed.


Top stitch the bag closed.


Make a few more. Add to them as you get scraps from projects.

These should save me having to pin my paper patterns to my fabric in future. I'm planning on making a few long skinny ones too for holding down the curves of necklines and arm holes.

9 comments:

Toria said...

That's a pretty cool idea. I use a stack of weights we took out of the bottom of some yukky vertical blinds that came with the house, when we replaced them with roman blinds

Vickie said...

nifty idea Tracy,I have some old weights from verticals too that I use like Toria..but these can be made all pwetty like hehehe...going to make me a couple real soon,
cheers Vickie
make that I'm going to make myself some NOW!

Melinda said...

A very interesting post. Do they work well? It sure would save some time with pinning, my least favourite part of dressmaking. I'm bookmarking your tutorial. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea ... I use tins of tuna!! Yours are much prettier and less likely to rip the paper!

Grin, Jen

Kat said...

Great tute Tracy! As usual :)
Hey - do you know when Crafty Mamas will be back up? hugs Kat xxx

Vic said...

lol Kat - withdrawels too?! I am a dork, I only just thought to do the blog rounds & see what everyone is up to!!

Tracey, can you tell I'm lazy... I never would have even CONSIDERED making pattern weights... I would just use whatever is at hand... I'd use Punky if she didn't wriggle so much... ;) Great work though, you are so damn productive!

Unknown said...

Great idea, thanks for the tutorial

Anonymous said...

Make sets of 3 (of equal weight and size) and use for juggling. Donate them to school/church/hospital/? craft fair for fund-raising.

Anonymous said...

I have used a stack of washers inside a circle made like a yo-yo. Also, fishing weights are handy, small, and heavy and look cute with a covering. I LOVE using weights instead of pins on larger or repetitive projects.