Sunday, 15 February 2009

Oppps It didn't work... back to the design stage


I wanted to make a pair of slippers for Michael.
Wendy's mum gave me some scraps of this double sided fleecy
I drew around Michael's foot and drafted a pattern for a simple pair of slippers.
But .. the uppers were way too big.
I had splayed the pattern too much and put too much room into the top piece.

They are swimming on him. The length and width of the foot are fine but there is too much height in the top and the cuff is way too big.


Ok I can fix this..
I'll just pinch out the extra and snip it out and sew it back together.


They look pretty but....
Can you guess what happened?


The slipper won't go onto his feet.
There is no stretch in the cuffs so they can't be pulled on over his wide little toes!

I need to do a little more thinking on this one.
A ribbing for the cuffs?

Stay tuned to see if I can fix this mess ..

...come back Crafty Mamas I miss you!!


I solved it.
It was easier than I thought. I chopped a centimeter off the cuff.
Excuse the flash photo and the rug that needs a vacuum.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my kids were little (in the olden days), I used to make boots like this out of cordoroy. They had a straight up cuff, with elastic stretched into them so that the excess fabric would be gathered in. Easy, simple, and very do-able!

HTH
Jen

Unknown said...

persistent aren't you! My he is getting so big looking now, where has your baby gone?

Denise in PA said...

I knew you could do it! That pic of Michael putting on his slipper is so cute! I could just eat those little toes! Ahhhh, I remember when my little one was that small!

Anonymous said...

I love the booties. Very cute! He models them adorably.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Hi Tracy! How nice to 'meet' you and visit your wonderful blog. Your children are absolutely beautiful and what fun to see all of these projects! How you fit them in with 6 children is amazing! I love seeing 'oops' and learning from them. We all make them and learn from them and from others. I 'sew' want to make some of your cute tutorials now...your pattern weights are way cuter than mine with that fun shape! Fun visit here!
With Heart and Hands Michele, Salem Oregon USA