Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Peace.....

is found in a garden.

 This is the first time I've hung the garlic. 
In past years I've just put it in the fridge or in the dryer.
Not sure if this will work as I'm told some varieties won't cure.

 A cheeky pumpkin vine is living in the old chook house.
I've not had the heart to replace the chooks
after they were disappeared earlier in the year by a feral cat.


 We're picking strawberries everyday but none make it to the house.

 It's a jungle here. Pete threw in some seeds way passed the use by date not sure if they'd grow.
So what's in there is a mystery. I'm rather hoping my stars and moon watermelons are in there somewhere.
 The Zucchinis have started producing. 
And the first of the capsicum aren't far off picking.

 There's a huge crop of tomatoes coming on.
The covers have made a huge difference this year.

 The cherry plum tree is weighted down with fruit.
I picked some this morning and I'm planning on making jam.
I love the taste of these tart little plums. 
If you like sour lollies you'll love these they have that tangy but sweet taste.
I've been told these are a very old variety of plum and make excellent jam.
They certainly are a hardy tree it survived years without water.


 And with a little water it's loaded down with fruit.

The tomartos in the chook yard are just amazing!
Pete's been picking them.
He uses a ladder to get at them as walking in there is impossible.

There's is something so soothing to the soul in picking from the garden.
A renewal of life, an assurance that life goes on even in the saddest of times.

4 comments:

Wallis Creek Farm said...

WOW Tracy..I LOVE your garden!!
Ours is looking very wet and soggy ATM. Can't wait to start planting in the next month or two!

objects of whimsy said...

fabulous garden your vegies look amazing

Tas said...

We only have a few espaliered fruit trees and some tomato plants in our suburban garden but it is very fulfilling getting to pick our own little bit of produce. Yours is amazing!

Jenn said...

I love your garden pics! I'm in South Carolina and it's freezing cold here and I'm so ready for the summer! I'm jealous of you!! Thanks for sharing! Jenn