Sunday, 11 April 2010

One Yard Wonders - Petite Diaper Tote

With the shed semi-sorted I'm feeling a little more inspired to sew. 
I spent yesterday morning repairing school uniforms. 
Replacing buttons and zips. 
Letting out darts to fit growing children. 
I have to make a new  skirt for Fern, hers was more darning than fabric. 
 I'll have to go buy the school uniform fabric. 
There goes by resolution, but really it doesn't count.
Buying a skirt would cost us a lot more.
I'll get Pete to buy the fabric so I'm not breaking my resolution!

As a reward for doing the drudge work I made myself a new nappy bag.
I bought One Yard Wonders after seeing Karen's copy. 
It does have a lot of simple projects in it that you could easily work out yourself but you never do!

I'm happy how the bag turned out.

The photo in the book didn't really show you how the bag fastened.
I would of made a flap rather than a tab to hold it all in, if I'd worked it out before I had cut the fabric.
I also couldn't cut the strap in one piece and I had a meter not a yard so I'm not sure what went on with the layout diagram.
And I had a hard time working out which way the bag went. 
In the cutting instructions the direction is cut 12" wide by 10" tall, but the diagram and construction instructions have the bag 12" tall by 10" wide.

In the photo the bag looked taller than wider so I went with 12" tall by 10" wide.

Lessons learnt.. 
Don't assume the instructions are right, even when the book is beautifully presented.
Read the whole way through the instructions and make sure I have a clear understanding of the construction and cutting before I start.
It's not just men who don't read the manual ;)

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Hi Tracy, that sure is one dandy looking nappy bag..way to go well done,cheers Vickie

Natalie Hennekam said...

Gorgeous bag Tracy!
But I do think reading instructions is highly over-rated ;-)

Sue at nobaddays.wordpress.com said...

Thanks for the heads up ... I'm busy making this as we speak.