For the first day this year I've thought about lighting the fire.
I spent this morning between feeds and cuddles sewing.
Heather enjoys lying in the beanbag beside me as I sew and Michael plays trains.
This is another Imke from Sewing Clothes Kids Love
I used the girl's Imke pattern, with the flared and pieced sleeve and pieced body.
I didn't have enough of the pink to cut the front in one piece so added a design feature!
The pink came from Crafty Mama's shop it's a beautiful knit.
The purple with the pink dots came from the op-shop.
I had a little hole in the fabric so added an appliqued heart to cover it.
Another design feature.
The kids love the hoods on Imke.
Heather, Michael and I enjoyed a walk into town to do a little grocery shopping and stopped at the bakery for treats.
I was very tempted to go into the newsagents next door and buy a knitting magazine.
I didn't, I resisted the urge.
It took a fair bit of willpower.
Having that ticker at the top of my blog kept me from breaking my self imposed ban.
I really do have a problem with 'stuff'.
My argument has been I don't drink or smoke so I can purchase crafting 'stuff'.
I may not be addicted to drink or smokes but I do have an addiction to buying 'stuff'.
I'm drowning in all this 'stuff'.
Having too much stifles me and my creativity.
I can never find what I want amongst it all.
Having lots of 'stuff' wouldn't be such a problem if I would place it into some order.
But where do I find the time to place it into order?
The kids are learning from me this inability to let 'stuff' go.
It's really not a blessing if it's sitting gathering dust.
I've packed up a pile of magazines and been dropping them off to others.
And they are now blessing others and blessing me too as I've had the reward of seeing someone else excited to receive them.
I was speaking to a very wise woman a long time ago.
She'd come from a larger family.
She thought we had it tougher these days.
More washing to do, as children now have cupboards full of clothes. When she was little there was only a few sets for each child. Generally play clothes, school clothes and Sunday best. She told me they didn't wash their clothes every wear, like we do now.
Children didn't have so many toys to keep tidy or care for.
Homes weren't full of every must have modern convenience. So less to clean.
We didn't have printers and piles of paperwork being sent home from schools and posted into post boxes. So less to sort out and deal with.
Books were expensive and a luxury.
Then again, if there weren't people like me buying all this 'stuff'?
Would there be more unemployment?
By not buying magazines, would we cause the:
- newsagents to lay off staff
- the printers to lay of staff,
- the publishers to lay off staff,
- the transport companies to lay off staff
- the paper mills to lay off staff
- the foresters to lay off staff
Is less really more?
2 comments:
Oh Tracy! Great to hear you are resisting buying more stuff!!! Well done! I have a question, though.... What if the foresters layed off staff but more energy was put into renewable resources and then this would open up an avenue for more employment? It is just hard to pull ourselves out of our old comfortable patterns. Baby steps is a great way to start. You go girl!
Wow, you are quick! The IMKE is great!
I share your addiction, I tell myself - it reallyy is small stuff, and i really need it.. and I work so hard...
It's the small stuff that's so hard to resist!
Post a Comment