Fern, Rose and I made up the little dolls from the Golden Hands magazine, that I made the ducks from yesterday.
It was a nice little exercise for teaching the girls to sew.
Lots of curves and pivoting, trimming and turning, stuffing and a little hand sewing.
they're interesting....
The girls are very happy with them.
I need to have a go at drafting my own pattern for a similar doll.
I spent the afternoon sewing a school skirt for Fern.
Her old skirt was more darning than fabric.
I made this one a couple of sizes too big.
And added an adjustable waistband.
I've pulled the end out so you can see how it works.
The elastic isn't visible it's hidden in it's casing.
A tab is sewn to each end of a piece of elastic.
A casing is added to the back waistband and the elastic is threaded through.
The skirt is adjusted by sewing the buttons on the waistband to fasten the tabs.
And I matched the check on the side seams.
I finished the skirt with a blind hem.
I love my blind hem foot!
The skirt was started at 1pm and finished by 5.30pm and I did have a feeding break for Heather.
The fabric was $27 per meter and I used 1.5 meters.
Hopefully this will be passed down and worn by all four of the girls.
5 comments:
Hi! your blog is interesting. I go back in your posts and I saw about your rash, I use baking soda with a little bit of water to make a paste and put it on the place I need just for a few second or minute... you will fell it.
have a nice day.
Those dolls are precious. And that skirt looks fantastic. Thanks for the elastic info!
WOW, that's the exact same fabric my high school skirt was...a few years back!!
Those dolls are gorgeous, well done to you and your girls.
Well done girls, your dolls look terrific! And well done to Mum for the school skirt!
I just spent an hour and half waiting at the uniform shop to buy my daughters winter skirt and they had the same adjustable band...its a great idea for growing kids hey. Khris
Post a Comment