Today I broke my no buying fabric ban.
Any quilter would of.
Today I found a treasure too wonderful to pass by.
Here it is, doesn't look that interesting does it?
And this is what spilled out of that bag.
Piles of hexagons basted to paper. (167 of them)
Three hexagon pieced flowers
Two metal hexagon templates for cutting the papers, one small and one big.
The markings from the compass which drew the hexagons onto the metal are still there.
A small wooden cotton reel.
A rusted needle pinned into a scrap of red velvet.
Some scraps of fabric.
And.....
A letter! See the date? 1977.
I was so excited!
The fabrics must all be older than 1977.
I have the name of the lady these hexagons belong to.
Maybe one day I'll complete her quilt and send her a letter?
I wonder if she still lives at the address on the letter?
How did her hexagons arrive in Gladstone, South Australia?
But that's not all I'm excited about.....
See these hexagon flowers?
Notice anything a little different about them?
I think a quilter will see...
Yes, they are backed with another hand pieced flower!
I've never seen this before.
It's a Quilt as You Go method for hexagons.
Can you see how the flowers are joined?
They have a thin batting between them.
Do I dare unpick a little of that overcast stitching to find out what was used?
After each flower was made the quilt maker would of then joined all her flowers together to make a reversible quilt.
I'm planning on piecing together the paper basted hexagons and completing the flowers.
Now would any quilter really pass this treasure by??
Some days are diamonds hexagons!
8 comments:
Double delicious, double sided hexagon days - you really hit the jackpot!
Wow! What an awesome find!
wonderful find, look forward to seeing the finished project
What a great find. Definitely couldn't have passed this up myself.
Oh my goodness what a lucky find!!! Teeny bit jealous :)
Sharon
Wow - what a haul Tracy. I certainly would have broken the ban as well. Well I have broken my ban ;0 but $5 sock yarns were too good to pass up
Oh wow! Awesome! I was feeling lucky with some interesting fabric finds, but I think this is better ;)
I made one of these quilts when I was very young took about two years completely by hand hand dont know where it is now got lost amongst my many moves .....Great score at the oppy
Post a Comment