Monday, 11 April 2011

Sew Simple Dress (long sleeves) - FREE Pattern!

Mad Quilter's
Long Sleeve 
Sew Simple Dress


 When making the long sleeve version you attach the sleeve to the dress pattern as in the photo above.
If you find your fabric isn't wide enough to cut the dress as the sleeve is placed you can do as I did and swing the sleeve closer to the body.

 Like here. 
As this is stretch fabric there is still enough room for movement.
Doing this makes this a more economic pattern.

I also varied this by flaring the hem out.

 Follow the same construction as the short sleeve version.
In the dress above I used ribbing on the neck.
The neck is snug and a tight fit over Heather's head.
So you may want to make the neckline bigger for your little one 
or cut the neckband with a little more give.

 Another variation is to cut this dress short and make a top.


In the photo above you can see where I decided to make the hem line.
I curved the hem similar to the original hem and added a little flare to the side.




I shortened the sleeve too.

 The neckline was finished simply by turning the neck edge over 6mm 
and stitching with a decorative stretch stitch.

I hope I've inspired you to have a go at making your own versions of this simple dress.
All of these dresses and tops costs my very little to make.
All but one of the fabrics were op-shop finds.

Stay tuned for the Sew Simple pants pattern!
(as seen above)
Please if you have ANY problems with these instructions, photos and patterns.
PLEASE contact me and TELL me.
I really do get very upset when I read on forums and blog posts when you have had a problem.
I also think you may find you aren't the only one,
so if you leave FEEDBACK on my blog others can learn from your experience.
I'm really not that upset with the criticism, 
BUT I do get upset when you tell everyone but me about it. 


And if you think I'm being a bit precious..
Let me visit your blog and make a few opinions on my blog
about your colour choices, layouts and projects and see how you feel.
You see I just would not do that as I think that is bad manners.

Oh and if you don't like my fabric choices,
you are very free to contact me and offer to give me some fabric you like better.
And if you don't like my photos, you are very welcome to buy me a new camera.
And if you don't like my instructions you are very welcome to pay for an editor to tidy them up for you.

OK now that is out of my system we return to normal transmission...

5 comments:

Tas said...

Glad to have you back :)

quiltzyx said...

So cute, and you have the BEST model!! :D
I'm sorry to read that you've been having 'critic' problems. I hope they're done now.
I'm totally hopeless at garment sewing, so I tip my hat to you!

Noelle said...

Glad to have you back! Poo to the cowardly critics!

sallyb said...

So nice to see you back Tracy.

Zoobeedoobee said...

Yay my biggest inspirer is back! Bugger those critics Like i have said before my tastes and yours are different but hey we don't all want to be the same do we? You still inspire me with your amazing creations! Welcome back :)