Mad Quilter's
Sew Simple Pants
Stretch fabrics ONLY.
These are designed to be snug around the lower leg to stop them riding up
and leaving Heather's legs cold.
Her feet are cold enough as she never keeps shoes or sock on!
I put a bit of room in the bottom and a higher rise at the back to accommodate her nappy.
This pattern was designed for Heather who is 16 months old,
with lovely chubby thighs.
When making for your child you may need to widen or narrow in places to get a fit you like.
I'm going to assume by readers are pretty bright so won't give you a material list.
The length you need is around 20 inches and you need the stretch to go across the pants.
These 5 pages make up the pattern.
Download, print, cut and paste, matching the markings on the pattern.
There is only one piece to making these pants.
Next cut two pieces, one for each leg!
Cut from your fabric folded in half so you can match any stripes well.
I use a rotary cutter as it gives a nicer cut edge than scissors.
Now off to the sewing machine.
Sew the front and back crotch seams.
I used a narrow zig zag stitch.
You can use a serger or an overlock stitch if your prefer.
I'm pretty lazy with my overlocker, I hate threading the damn thing!
Sew up the inside leg seam.
I start at one leg and sew to the end of the other, matching the stripes and the crotch seams.
Now you can decide to finish the hem on the leg before you sew up the inside leg seam.
I like to do it after so I can make sure the length is right.
Finish the leg hems, if you didn't do them before sewing up the inside leg seam.
I turned up 1cm and sewed the hem with a harrow zigzag.
Now finish the waist.
How much elastic? I measure around Heather's waist with the elastic to find a nice fit.
This piece was 15 inches and was very soft and stretchy.
I overlapped the two ends without twisting and sewed them to the back crotch seam about 6mm below the edge.
Next I matched the center of the elastic to the center front and sewed the elastic here too about 6mm below the edge.
Then I folded the edge over and sewed the waist down.
Enclosing the elastic as I went and being careful not to sew through the elastic.
I like this method as the elastic now can't twist in the casing.
Mark the center back seam with a piece of ribbon or a tag to help Daddy dress wiggling toddler.
And you're all done.
Now for the variation:
Add some ribbing at the waist, instead of elastic.
Another pair I made in testing the pattern.
I'm showing these off as I matched those stripes beautifully!
I added cuffs to the bottom of this pair.
And no I don't like the fabric choices on this one either!
I only had scraps of both so thought I'd experiment.
They'll do for PJ pants.
Copyright same as all my other patterns.
7 comments:
Cute, love the pink & black stripe version.
Soooo cute!
Well done, they look great! Little pants like these can be made from old jumpers and tops you don't wear anymore too :)
Love a baby in stripes - and matching up those blue, green and white ones is certainly a feat! I've knocked up a similar style for Mr T and you've just reminded me that I was going to make more... but I think I'll have to enlarge the pattern by now :)
so cute tracy!! u been busy with these pants. man, u really make me wanna bring out my machines!!!
Oh Tracy I do like to see matched up stripes.
what a great picture, my my she is growing up in such a gorgeous little girl. Nice pants.
Post a Comment