Saturday, 23 April 2011

When the going gets tough, it's time to go sewing

 I like to escape to the shed when stressed.
It's either that or eat!
I played around with the Sew Simple Dress I drafted for Heather.
I altered the front, making a crossover neckline.
I traced off my original draft and played around with the line.
If you do the same, remember the seam allowances!
Did anyone want a copy of my neckline variation?
Send me an email if you do and I'll email it to you.
 The brown stretch was another op-shop find.
There's not enough for a matching pair of pants, I may have to play around with the pant pattern and put a stripe down the side so I can use the remains of the brown.
I like brown, it's a lot softer than black.
I think brown like black slims a silhouette.
I joined the pieces at the shoulder.
Then I used a three step zigzag stitch to finish the neckline.
I overlapped the top pieces and attached the skirt.
Then completed the dress as for the original

 My model wasn't cooperating today.
She doesn't like to stay still.

 Why stressed?
I'm the mother of a teenager.
Is that enough of a reason?
Hormonal teenage daughters and hormonal middle aged women,
should not be living in the same space.
And to top my day off, Pete threw my new Bras in the wash without putting them in a bag!
Two bras that are no longer wearable.
Lucky for me it's Easter so I'll get to eat Chocolate for a day or two.

12 comments:

willow and moo said...

Love the cross front variation!

And a huge OH NO about the bras!

Kelly Casanova said...

Oh, I love the crossover! I don't think a man could ever appreciate the importance of a good bra!
Happy Easter!

Unknown said...

I love the cross over. THe bras, oh the bras, and they are soooo expensive. Oh well I guess he was trying to help. Tracy it is a good thing you escape to the shed. I on the other hand have been eating, nonstop for 6 months, so if I wasn't depressed before I a sure as heck am now LOL. I am off to see if I can make your hot cross buns. For ages I have wanted to go back and find your sticky bun recipe and try that too...

לימונדה said...

this is wonderful. please send me copy of your neckline variation.

l1972@walla.com

thanks

Viki said...

i love the cross-over variation!!

Vickie said...

Oh Heather looks gorgeous in her new frock -she looks like you..what a clever mummy you are...grrr to the bra episode and triple grr too the teenage years..hope the rest of your weekend imrpoves.cheers Vickie

Tas said...

So very cute, Tracy. Bah on the bras. Pete better win some golf and get a prize to pay for some new ones!

Julie said...

I love this style. I wish I had your sewing talent!

Cathie said...

i hope you've had a great easter break, stress free, with lots of chocolate & some gorgeous kids all around you.
i never put my bras in a bag...oops..

quiltzyx said...

What a cute dress! I am hopeless at garment sewing, but my Mom was like you & sewed all my clothes when I was a wee one. One pattern & changed it all around or added different trims, etc.
Sorry about the new bras! Sheesh! My worst bra episode was when I had lost a bunch of weight, & only had one regular (as opposed to sports style) bra that still fit. It was in the dirty clothes basket, waiting to be washed....when I took it out to put it in the washer, I discovered that my cat had chewed through BOTH straps! No more leaving the basket out where she could get at it!!

Zoobeedoobee said...

Oh wow that is very clever well done!

Zoobeedoobee said...

As for teenage girls they often turn in to amazingly wonderful young women I know ;). The bras What a great reason to go get more That will learn him.