Friday, 8 April 2011

You have to have a goal to achieve a goal

Alpaca fleece and tops - Bought at the Laura Folk fair
 I've been thinking, I do that sometimes.
Thinking about goals.

About how important they really are to our lives.
How having goals makes me feel good about myself.
How goals give me focus, purpose and direction.
When I'm depressed I don't set myself goals.

I've been working on a BIG project.
When I started I wasn't sure I would finish.
Now I'm half way through.
Having a set of written goals is helping me get to the end.
If you want to achieve a BIG goal it needs to be written down.
Written goals, reviewed often, keep you focused and on track to achieving them.

Alpaca Fleece - My goal is to spin this.
Goals are S.M.A.R.T
S = Specific M = Measurable A = Attainable R = Realistic T = Timely
 Be it a little goal or a BIG goal.

Setting a goal is not enough. 
You have to plan to achieve it.
You need a plan of action.
You don't get where you are going without a plan.
Just as you need a map to get to a place you've never been before.
A plan keeps you moving towards completing your goal.

crochet bag ready to felt
 When I lack goals and plans in my life I feel lost.
I need direction, 
I need to achieve something.

Just having one big goal isn't enough for me.
A goal that is too big is overwhelming.
And once overwhelmed, I just don't do anything.
I need to set myself little goals along the way to keep me motivated.
Little goals I can celebrate and get that sense of achievement from.

Felted bag - might need a little embellishment?
Some goals are too big, like raising kids, to ever feel like you've achieved them.
I know what my big goals are, I wrote them down.

So what's your goal for the day?

3 comments:

Kelly Casanova said...

Excellent post! I think my goal for today (because I'm starting to feel a bit down) is to counteract every negative thought with a positive one.

JulieT said...

Great way to tackle those goals I love the bag the colours are beautiful

Unknown said...

Goals do work, my goal tomorrow is write some! Love the colours in the bag Tracy.