
I've seen a few of these Babooshka style soft dolls around the net of late. I drew up a simple pattern for one this afternoon. I started out by folding an A4 sheet of paper into thirds length wise to mark the proportions of the head and body of the doll. Then I folded it in half width wise. I drew a half pattern onto the folded paper, putting the head in the top third and body in the bottom third. Then cut the pattern out. I cut the pattern into two sections. One the body and the other the head and shoulders. I then took the head portion and folded it back in half and cut a half oval out to use as the pattern for the dolls face. Using the pattern for the face I drew the hair pattern on a separate piece of paper.

I cut the 2 of the body from some fabric I'd found in an op-shop a while back and 2 of the head from some gingham I had in the stash. I added a 1 cm seam allowance all around. The face was cut from some calico which already had some iron-on web attached to it from a previous project. The hair is a scrap of felt.
I sewed the face and hair to one of the face pieces. Then I sewed the head sections to the body sections then placed the back and front pieces right sides together and sewed around the figure 8 shape, leaving a 5 cm section to use to turn the doll though and stuff. Once stuffed I closed the opening with a ladder stitch and I embroidered her face on, with Lilly asking "is she finished yet?" every few minutes! I added a piece of trim which has been lying in my sewing bits and pieces for ages, it was the perfect size too.


Lilly is totally in love with her new doll.
3 comments:
Oh isnt that doll so cute :) and Lily looks like she loves it to bits :)
Two cute creative constructions..
cute..........keira has a growing collection of softies that are overtaking our loungeroom!
oh and after I had keira I really missed my big belly but babies are oh so much better
Corrie:)
Post a Comment